Wednesday, July 28, 2010
The second project for Decagon was a series of manual drawings for a Drain Gauge. I have an odd impulse to be apologetic about the geeking out I'm about to do, but I'll ignore that impulse. About two months ago I was invited to a field install of this device, which I found totally fascinating.
The drain gauge does pretty much what it sounds like, along with several other nifty things. When installed correctly, it measures the amount of water moving through a given sample of soil. The field install was a bit like watching a cooking show (which I also love) in that I was able to witness the entire process from start to finish, step by step. Something about watching a progression like that has always been interesting to me.
Along with the functions of the device, the physicality of the device is also cool. It has a surprising number of components of various colors, textures, and sizes, which made it fun to draw. On top of all that, I learned about the product and the process. Yet another example of illustration introducing me to new experiences and arenas. So, to recap: Installation=Interesting and fun. Device=Interesting and fun to draw. Learning=Exciting. Entire process=Sweet. (If this language is a little too scientific, I apologize.)
So, here she is...
The two most recent projects on which I've been working for the past month or so have been pretty intense, which partially accounts for the delay since the last set of posts. Am I off the hook?
What follows is a double header of technical drawings for Decagon Devices, Inc. The first was a series of visual solutions for a set of somewhat abstract concepts. By "abstract" I mean that many of the concepts have no physical incarnation (at least, not one that can be seen with the naked eye), and therein lay the challenge. These included wireless communication, the internet, and device pairing.
While the illustrations themselves were relatively straightforward, some of the concepts were pretty hard (translation: fun). I'll post this project first (it will have to be in two sets, though).
Wednesday, July 21, 2010
Friday, July 16, 2010
Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I've been working on (and continue to work on) some big projects (one for "Lindy's" and a couple for Decagon), but I won't be able to post them for a little while. In the meantime, here's an illustration that was supposed to run in "The Boise Weekly". The story was going to be about emerging alternative energy projects in Idaho (in which cows play a significant fiduciary role). Unfortunately the story was canned, so here's the decommissioned illustration about 3/4 of the way finished.
Thursday, July 1, 2010
I know, I know: I haven't updated the blog in like...forever. But there's a reason for that, and it's not because I was trapped under something heavy. Well, I suppose I was metaphorically trapped under something heavy. The University of Idaho Auxiliary Services map has commanded every minute of my attention for the last two weeks. I literally worked for 10-12 hours per day for 11 days in a row.
When I started this project, I had no idea what I was in for. But now we're in the Autumn of the project and I think of my work as vintage wine from fine old kegs (from the brim to the dregs), it poured sweet and clear. It was a very good...project. Seriously, super excited about the way it turned out. Exhausted but proud. And the response has been phenomenal.
Without further ado...(this is going to be 4 or 5 posts worth of images)...